Consciousness » Is there a difference between Zen meditation and basal metabolic rate?

• Unsmoked
    Unsmoked
    The text below the avatar of Pomay the cat reads, 'BASAL METABOLISM'.

The text below the avatar of Pomay the cat reads, 'BASAL METABOLISM'.

• Weird Buffalo
    Weird Buffalo
    This question doesn't make sense to me. https://www.garnethealth.org/news/basal-metabolic-rate-calculator BMR Definition: Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the number of calories you burn as your body performs basic (basal) life-sustaining function. Commonly also termed as Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR), which is the calories burned if you stayed in bed all day. In either case, many utilize the basal metabolic rate formula to calculate their body’s metabolism rate.

This question doesn't make sense to me.
    https://www.garnethealth.org/news/basal-metabolic-rate-calculator

BMR Definition: Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is the number of calories you burn as your body performs basic (basal) life-sustaining function. Commonly also termed as Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR), which is the calories burned if you stayed in bed all day. In either case, many utilize the basal metabolic rate formula to calculate their body’s metabolism rate.

• Unsmoked
    Unsmoked
    The key word is 'effort'. If there's effort then it's not the BMR. When artists or sculptors portray the Buddha, I think they mean to show a face without effort. Since he's usually sitting, we know he's not asleep.

The key word is 'effort'. If there's effort then it's not the BMR. When artists or sculptors portray the Buddha, I think they mean to show a face without effort. Since he's usually sitting, we know he's not asleep.

• Weird Buffalo
    Weird Buffalo
    This is like suggesting that the metabolic rate during a period of no movement might be the same as another period of no movement.

This is like suggesting that the metabolic rate during a period of no movement might be the same as another period of no movement.

• Unsmoked
    Unsmoked
    I mean to suggest a peaceful state of mind in which there is no mental effort.

I mean to suggest a peaceful state of mind in which there is no mental effort.

• Bruce Burleson
    Bruce Burleson
    If there is no mental effort, how is consciousness maintained? Something has to be firing. And would you remember if you reached this state? Then wouldn't there me some mental activity in forming the memories? Again, something has to be firing.

If there is no mental effort, how is consciousness maintained? Something has to be firing. And would you remember if you reached this state? Then wouldn't there me some mental activity in forming the memories? Again, something has to be firing.

• Bruce Burleson
    Bruce Burleson
    "be", not "me".

"be", not "me".

• Weird Buffalo
    Weird Buffalo
    A Youtube atheist I enjoy likes to use an example to prove the power of prayer. If you are trapped in a mine cave-in, prayer will increase your chances of survival. Not because some entity will arrange for you to be saved due to the earnest of your plea, but rather the prayer will calm you down. It will reduce your metabolic rate and thus conserve precious resources such as oxygen. This will help you live longer, and thus more likely to be rescued and survive.

A Youtube atheist I enjoy likes to use an example to prove the power of prayer.

If you are trapped in a mine cave-in, prayer will increase your chances of survival. Not because some entity will arrange for you to be saved due to the earnest of your plea, but rather the prayer will calm you down. It will reduce your metabolic rate and thus conserve precious resources such as oxygen. This will help you live longer, and thus more likely to be rescued and survive.

• Unsmoked
    Unsmoked
    Probably it takes practice to be awake and attentive and to 'know' when there's mental effort going on - the mind trying to do something or achieve something, or experience something. "The mind not touching things; the steps not placed anywhere." Thoreau put it this way - "Sometimes I think I could rest in the palm of God (Reality or Nature) like a fieldstone and let it all go by like a torrent. Once a person learns how to give the mind a few moments of peace and quiet in the midst of the day's hubbub, there's no doubt of the value. It's not an escape. It's a pause that refreshes. It's when circular (repetitive) thinking stops and something new might appear in the field of consciousness. Would you agree that most people spend their entire life in the same coral, the same fenced area that contains the 'me'? Never a moment of freedom when the 'me' is quiet, and the original entity is awake and attentive? I guess Bruce and I went around and around with this - whether there is an original entity before the me starts accumulating and calling itself commander in chief. Anyway, here we're talking about the me being quiet for a minute, while consciousness is relaxed, awake, and attentive.

Probably it takes practice to be awake and attentive and to 'know' when there's mental effort going on - the mind trying to do something or achieve something, or experience something.

"The mind not touching things; the steps not placed anywhere."

Thoreau put it this way - "Sometimes I think I could rest in the palm of God (Reality or Nature) like a fieldstone and let it all go by like a torrent.

Once a person learns how to give the mind a few moments of peace and quiet in the midst of the day's hubbub, there's no doubt of the value. It's not an escape. It's a pause that refreshes. It's when circular (repetitive) thinking stops and something new might appear in the field of consciousness.

Would you agree that most people spend their entire life in the same coral, the same fenced area that contains the 'me'? Never a moment of freedom when the 'me' is quiet, and the original entity is awake and attentive?

I guess Bruce and I went around and around with this - whether there is an original entity before the me starts accumulating and calling itself commander in chief. Anyway, here we're talking about the me being quiet for a minute, while consciousness is relaxed, awake, and attentive.

• Weird Buffalo
    Weird Buffalo
    And I have no problem with pointing out some concrete benefits of meditation. I'm not sure the caloric savings are one I'd put at the top of the list, except maybe in extreme survival situations. I think the attention to the physicality of life in the here-and-now is the biggest one. Not worrying too much about the distant future/past has been extremely beneficial for myself personally. It is the biggest and best tool for managing depression that works for me.

And I have no problem with pointing out some concrete benefits of meditation. I'm not sure the caloric savings are one I'd put at the top of the list, except maybe in extreme survival situations.

I think the attention to the physicality of life in the here-and-now is the biggest one. Not worrying too much about the distant future/past has been extremely beneficial for myself personally. It is the biggest and best tool for managing depression that works for me.

Please or register to post.

Add your message- It will be added as the newest post